Disclaimer

The contents of this Web site are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. Government or the Peace Corps.

Note: I have returned to the U.S. due to family issues. My last day in Kenya was Aug. 7th, 2009. I still have pictures and stories to share, so additional posts will appear as time permits.
I had a wonderful experience in Kenya and would like to share with anyone that is interested. Paul

Saturday, August 15, 2009

Traveling to our new sites

On Friday, July 31, almost everyone started traveling to their assigned sites with their counter-parts. Our counter-parts were the supervisors or co-workers that each PCV will be working with for the next two years, if everything goes according to plans. Pictured are my traveling companions during my trip to Silibwet. There is Nick, his counter-part, Festus (my counter-part), Sonya's counter-part, the girl friend of one of the counter-parts, and Sonya. This was a beautiful ride taking us from the dry plains of the Rift valley to the lush green hillsides of the Central Highlands.

We made it in a minivan, called "matatu". All of us, including the driver, and our luggage were crammed into a supposed 11 passenger matatu, where every inch of possible space is used for passengers or luggage. Since we essentially paid for the entire van, there were no other passengers. However, under normal circumstances I have seen a row of three seats easily become occupied by 4 people. In Silibwet, small Nissan or Toyota station wagons are used as matatus. Even in the front seat there will be 3 passengers, plus the driver. An amazing feat of bodily contortions are performed to squeeze everyone inside.

1 comment:

  1. Just remember, a matatu is never full. Never. I have ridden in some matatus that had around 25 people plus a few small children, and occasionally a goat or chicken underneath the seats.
    I certainly hope your journey went well and I hope that one day you will get a chance to visit me out in North East Province. :)
    ~Daniel D

    ReplyDelete