Disclaimer

The contents of this Web site are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. Government or the Peace Corps.

Note: I have returned to the U.S. due to family issues. My last day in Kenya was Aug. 7th, 2009. I still have pictures and stories to share, so additional posts will appear as time permits.
I had a wonderful experience in Kenya and would like to share with anyone that is interested. Paul

Friday, August 28, 2009

Home made box solar oven

My fellow former PCV trainees will likely remember the solar oven and water pasteurization presentation. Out of curiosity I made this solar oven using 2 card board boxes. The inner box measures 15"x17" and the outer box measures 24"x24". Crumpled newspaper was used as an insulator, and clear acrylic was used instead of glass to keep out wind and debris. My initial test was to heat water about a half gallon of water in a dark blue camp pot. I inserted the WAPI (Water Pasteurization Indicator) that was provided by Prof. Robert Metcalf. (Remember the enclosed glob of green wax ?) After 4 hours in the Tucson sun, the wax did melt, and the water was hot to the touch. A check with an oven thermometer indicated the water temperature was 120 deg. F. Tilting the back to refocus the sun's energy during the afternoon could possibly achieve higher temperatures.

No comments:

Post a Comment